Pages

Sunday 11 November 2012

Guest Blog: Life with One Touch - An Introduction to NFC

You may be aware of my position within the Sony Mobile Test Lab, a group of regular consumers invited by Sony to participate in product trials and provide honest feedback.

I recently got talking to a fellow test-labber, Simon Tompkins, about getting him in as a guest blogger. I asked Simon if he would provide his experiences of Sony's implementation of NFC, and here is the end result. A fantastic account of one mans experiences, and I hope you'll agree.



One thing Sony seems to be pushing more than any other manufacturer lately is NFC, which stands for Near Field Communication.

For anyone who hasn't heard of NFC before probably will in the near future. It is a new way for smart phones to share low amounts of information very easily, quickly and with just one touch.

This feature is already being used by most high end Android phones to share photos, playlists, pay for small amounts of items in a shop which supports NFC financial transactions and playing music through NFC speakers from your phone. As you can begin to see, NFC is making high and loud promises for the future.


I've had the Sony Xperia P, one of Sony's 2012 NFC sporting phones, for about 4-6 months now. To start with I really didn't see much use in having it, as the most exiting feature of NFC for me was being able to pay for items quickly through Google Wallet. Unfortunately Google Wallet isn't yet supported here in the UK with no official news on when to expect it, and those payment options that do exist here are found sparely across major chains and cities only.

Not only that but very few people have phones which use NFC either so I was still having to share photos and such the old fashioned way...the Apple way.

Sony have released a lot of accessories which have caught my interest and have encouraged me to get off the couch start figuring it all out, mainly the smart tags and the NFC sphere speakers.

It's not an overly complicated concept, but like any new technology even the simple kind can prove a challenge to those new to it, so I decided to share my experiences with you to help out with the transition.
My Xperia P comes with a couple of "NFC Smart Tags". This innovation is courtesy of Sony and are a pretty cool accessory. They store a small 'identity' which when scanned by a correctly configured phone can automatically trigger a series of events all at once in without having to painstakingly do it all by yourself.

The idea is to put them in places like your front door for instance, where a tag may trigger a profile to disable your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, saving your battery life for the day ahead. Additionally you might with to include events so that at the time of scanning the tag, the phone reads out the time and weather forecast. You may even wish to split these commands across different tags, and include the time and weather commands at the point of waking up and scanning a tag on your bedside.

You could even scan a bedside tag to set your phone to silent, set the alarm for the next morning and post a good night message on your Facebook timeline.


My first experience with doing this was simple enough. I decided where I wanted my two smart tags and placed them by the back door and my bedside. I hung the tags accordingly and programmed the commands I wanted.

To give you an idea of what the tags can do and what they're all about, I'll show you the commands I recorded in both tags.

BEDSIDE TAG
Do this: Wi-Fi off,  Bluetooth off, Sound silent, Start application alarm clock, Speak current time, volume settings applied (alarm turns up, everything else turned down) and a goodnight post to my friends on Facebook (very cool!).
At the end: Wi-Fi on, Bluetooth off, Sound mode normal, Post a good morning facebook message (its for testing purposes, honest!), speak the current time, volume settings readjusted, open google news and start the Facebook application.

BACK DOOR TAG
Do this:  Wi-Fi off, Bluetooth off, sound mode loud, start news and weather app, speak current time.
At the end: Wi-Fi toggle, speak the current time, sound mode adjusted to lower setting.


The problem

This is where I stumbled across my first problem. The 'Do this' option means when I scan the NFC tag to my phone, it does exactly as I command. This works fine. Its quick, easy and responsive.

When I programmed 'at the end' however, I had assumed this meant when I returned and scanned the phone a second time, that it would apply these settings. No matter how many times I scan the NFC tag is seems to continuously apply the 'Do this' settings.

This leads me to wonder why an 'at the end' option present. Is there a timer to apply these settings at the end of which, that I'm supposed to configure? Do these settings make the 'Do this' settings a temporary configuration until the 'at the end' configuration kicks in?

Like I say, the concept is a great one, however as simple as it is, it seems to have been overcomplicated, much more so than it needs to be, by the process required to configure the commands. Even just renaming the event options to 'scan once' and scan twice' would have made for a much more clear and understandable setup.

I've also noticed the need to unlock your phone to scan with NFC (though there might be a setting for this which I'm yet to find), meaning I need to press the button on the side with my thumb before swiping to unlock my phone. Finally at this point, I can scan my NFC tag. This may take just seconds to do, but it's a fiddly process and just isn't the same experience shown on the adverts. It's far from a one touch experience.


The good parts

By pairing the smart tags with the NFC sphere speakers, I could really imagine this being a cool party trick. Walking in and tapping my phone on the speakers, having it instantly playing my music wirelessly.


Pretty cool, especially paired with Music Unlimited which has a huge library of music. Who doesn't want to be the guy with all the tunes in the world?

The following video shows just how easy it is to play music on the NFC speakers, without an exhaustive amount of setting up before hand.


Its a really cool idea, and one that I can't wait to start using more as the technology becomes more widespread, especially as the accessories are rolled out.

I do have a few friends with NFC phones but don't see them often enough, and certainly don't trade playlists or photos with them. Doing so would be more for the sake of it, rather than something I actually need.

Once the technology becomes more available then I can really see myself making the most of it. For now, its a novelty with a lot of potential...

No comments:

Post a Comment