Pages

Saturday 17 November 2012

Count Them.... Xperia 2012, and What Happens Next [poll]

So as the year begins to draw to a close, Sony Asia announced a brand new Xperia phone exclusive to the China market whilst Sony as a whole are already talking about their next flagship hot off the heels of the Xperia T release.

Now, I may have missed a few out here, but off the top of my memory, here are the devices that I can recall having been released this year:

Xperia S
Xperia P
Xperia U
Xperia Ion
Xperia Sola
Xperia Neo L
Xperia Go
Xperia acro S
Xperia Miro
Xperia Tipo
Xperia Tipo duo
Xperia SX
Xperia SL
Xperia T
Xperia V
Xperia J
Xperia TX
Xperia GX
Xperia VC

Incredible. That's 19 devices in the space of 12 months. Roughly 1.6 devices each month. But you'd be hard done by to find each device in one single territory.

This does make me wonder what we can expect to see in 2013. What does the future hold? Will Sony focus their time and efforts on much fewer devices or will they continue to roll out new devices upon every sunset? Will there be more regional fragmentation, or will devices be universal? Would a universal platform work for a corporation like Sony? If it works for others, then why not?

These are all questions I'm finding myself question myself with, and so I thought I'd pitch them to you guys. Let me know your thoughts in the comments section, and use the poll on the right to vote.


UPDATE: As mentioned in the comments section, I missed out the following three devices:
Xperia AX
Xperia TL
Xperia VL

This brings the total to a whopping 22 devices! In addition, the adjusted average devices per month is now 1.83. Nearly 2 devices every month. Is this too much?

UPDATE: 5 Minutes ago, Sony Mobile announced two new smart phones in the shape of the Xperia E and the Xperia E Dual. I must wonder with less than 4 weeks left of 2012, how many more Xperia devices will be announced?

2 comments:

  1. You missed off the AX, TL and VL. 22 devices.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I did, I'll update the list. I lost count about half way through the year so had a feeling I'd have forgotten one or two :P

      Delete