Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

Dive into a waterproof Sony @ Gadget Show Live 2014!

Some will have seen the #DiveIntoSony hashtag on twitter over the weekend. In case you haven't, check this out...





On Saturday, I had the opportunity to visit the Sony Stand at Gadget Show Live here in the UK, armed only with the hashtag, #DiveIntoSony. Uncertain about my expectations, I braced myself while walking towards the stand with a noticeable addition, a full sized diving tank, containing two divers, a SmartWatch 2, and an Xperia Z series phone (my ever-ageing eyes tell me this was the Z1).


During my visit, I got a good look at these devices along with the also waterproof SmartBand, and discuss the usefulness of waterproof smartphones and wearable devices with a member of the Sony team.

I often hear remarks about the likelihood of an average user taking their phone surfing, however I'm uneasy with the smaller things, from using my phone in the rain, to playing music while in the bath. I therefore jumped at the chance of diving into the tank myself! Well, not 'that' tank, no. A much smaller tank at elbow height was much more suited to wetting my appetite!


Having studied wearable computing at university I'm compelled with it's growth, so Sony's take has intrigued me. Whilst I initially found it fiddly to equip, once it was on I pictured the benefits. Nature's impact on wearable technology is an important one to consider, so waterproofing is a huge step in the right direction.


Sony has clearly found its feet in the wearable market, and waterproofing these devices and the phones they complement is certainly a nod to the future of wearables. 

The SmartWatch 2, SmartBand and Xperia Z1 are available now. Sony's next flagship, the Xperia Z2 is available to pre-order, and will be the next device in Sony's waterproof portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment